You are a word master of the highest order, so you can captivate an audience in any medium. You’re writing TV commercials, radio spots, print ads, humongous billboards (as opposed to little ones), social media, product packaging, beer cans, website copy or anything else containing the written word.
But on a higher plane of existence than all that, you’re developing and nurturing brands, so you don’t just see the world through the lense of the alphabet! You’re working closely with an art director on brand development including identity, guidelines and narratives. Taglines, scripts for anthem videos and home page copy are all in your bag of tricks. Everything you produce is consistent with the brand you are writing for. We work with brands in a variety of industries, so you’re a chameleon. Hey, chameleon! You seem nice.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THE COPYWRITER & CONTENT SPECIALIST?
As a Copywriter & Content Specialist, you’re showing an ability to lock in, work hard and be a guiding force on creative projects. The creative brief is your North Star and you stay true to it as creative efforts develop. You ensure that messaging is in sync with visuals where appropriate. Solid research skills and an ability to write crisp, strategic and oftentimes clever marketing and advertising copy are must-haves. You’ve got to be comfortable client-facing and have sharp presentation skills. Clients don’t want to just like our work, they want to like us!
You must be comfortable with the give and take that comes with working among designers, account service folks, developers, sales peeps, and Star Wars geeks. People like you, damn it! We think at a fast pace and work even faster. Basic SEO knowledge is a must. Understanding how our work translates to digital, how we need to be connected with the digital marketing, media and development teams is essential.
- Listening: To clients, to colleagues, to classic rock. If you can’t listen, you can’t be here.
- Developing creative ideas and concepts, often in partnership with another writer, an art director and/or a designer, sometimes while eating pizza.
- Writing clear, persuasive, original copy that sings to its audience.
- Channeling your passion for the work you’ve done, presenting ideas to colleagues and clients, then taking the feedback and making your work better.
- Proofreading copy for spelling and grammar because people make mistakes.
- Editing copy to make it better than before.
- Participating in campaign development from the conceptual stage to client joy.
- Working on several campaigns at once, sometimes under pressure and often to tight deadlines — and loving it!
- Keeping up to date with pop culture and trends, but not the Kardashians.
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- At least 5 years of this type of professional writing experience.
- Agency experience and/or having worked with agencies is a must.
- Strong understanding of social media and best practices.
- A basic understanding of design principles is helpful.
- Verbal, organizational and time-management skills.
- High-energy, self-motivated sort with a great attitude even when working under pressure.
- Experience with strategic brainstorming, campaign development, creative brief development and creative execution will help your cause immeasurably.
- Bachelor’s Degree or an impressive collection of Associate’s Degrees in related fields.